Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Will PPH Unite With Me To Save The Heart Of Downtown Escondido?

Last night , PPH called on community unity. I hope that PPH soon joins me in my efforts to Save The Heart Of Downtown Escondido, Palomar Medical Center, as a full-service hospital for the community.

Here is a summary of my comments made at the PPH board meeting last night::

1. Under the ERTC Development Agreement, the City of Escondido "shall diligently seek reimbursement from other developers who stand to benefit from the completion of the Citracado Parkway Improvements." I asked for clarification on that City obligation. Was the City obligated to seek reimbursement from developers in the west downtown area or as far away as Via Rancho Parkway?
2. I requested that the Valley Boulevard "crossover" be maintained or realigned no further west than the five "West Properties". I further argued against the total elimination of the crossover.
3. The "hold harmless" clause states that the clause "shall not apply to the extent such damage, liability, or claim is proximately caused by the intentional or negligent act or acts of the City", and the clause appears silent on the City's liability for acts by PPH or other parties.
4. My public records act request for the "Kaiser Agreement" was denied because it contained "trade secrets." PPH has discussed many parts of the Kaiser Agreement in public and those portions are not trade secrets. I requested that PPH redact any remaining trade secrets and make the agreement available for inspection and copy.
5. I noted that PPH is on the horns of a dilemma. I believe that Palomar Medical Center is a fine hospital with the newest emergency room in the area and that it should be saved as an acute care hospital. The emergency rooms at Fallbrook, Tri-City and Pomerado hospitals are all decades older. PPH keeps telling the public that PMC is an old and overcrowded facility. Yet, PMC is PPH's main source of revenue. PPH will continue to lose market share if it keeps making disparaging remarks about PMC. It must face this dilemma over the next 5 or 6 years. If PPH begins making positive and glowing remarks about PMC, they will be assisting me in my effort to "Save The Heart Of Downtown Escondido" as a full-service acute care hospital.

PPH Board Chair Dr. Rivera was so offended by my comments that he tried to cut me off before the allotted time, he told me I was wasting time, and he had his gavel at the ready a minute before the time limit. I ended my comments 30 seconds early.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home